Thursday, April 14, 2011

TOP 10 of the LAST 10

Since the winter hoop season has come to an end, I had to come up with something else to write about. A recent rumor I have heard (actually from a few different sources) about the annual VT/NH Twin state game coming to an abrupt end after 30 successful years got me thinking about all the great players that have played in that game. Its really too bad to see such a great event come to an end, for I know some of this years seniors have probably been looking forward to playing in this game for the last 4 years. I had the opportunity to play a role in this game just a few years ago, it was a tremendous honor, and an experience I wont forget.  I will be sure to have a more in depth write up regarding the (what would have been) 31st Annual Merchants Bank Twin State Rotary Classic, once I have confirmed more details.

Regardless, as I mentioned this got me thinking about all the great players that have played in this game. The state has had some great talent over the years. Now if there are any other VT Hoop Heads out there such as I claim to be, I would have to imagine at some point a conversation has come up about the top players this state has ever seen...of all-time that is. Names like Dalrymple, Cieplicki and Johnson have surely come up. What I would like to do, to keep it a little fresher and a little more geared to maybe a more youthful audience, is discuss the top 10 players this state has seen over the last 10 years. Top 10...over the last 10. Who would they be?
This series of entries will be dedicated (in my humble opinion) to the top VT HIGH SCHOOL PLAYERS this state has seen over the last decade. Now as you can see there is an emphasis on HIGH SCHOOL PLAYERS...players careers in HIGH SCHOOL.  This will not have anything to do with players college careers. It will not concern what they have accomplished on or off the court after their high school stints.  It doesn't matter if a guy has had a 3 year pro career, or he is now working in a factory job somewhere. This is strictly based on there high school resume.
Over the next week I will name the top 10 players by position, the top 10 single teams the state has seen, as well as the top 10 High school programs and of course my top 10 overall players from the last 10 years. The only criteria...they have played at least 1 season for a VT high school sometime between 2000 and 2010.
This should be interesting......

My First entry will be the big fellas...the top 10 Centers in the last 10 years....(ranked in order)

CENTERS 2000-2010

10. Alex Snyder - Rutland (2011)
9. Billy Welcome - Hazen (2000)
8. Chad Copeland - Twinfield (2012)
7. Sebastian Brandsetter - North Country (2008)
6. Alex Lloyd - Rice Memorial (2000)
5. Nick Meunier - Rice Memorial (2009)
4. Clancy Rugg - Burlington (2009)
3. Pat Bergman - Rice Memorial (2007)
2. Chris Cayole - Rice Memorial (2003)
1. Taylor Coppenrath - St. Johnsbury (2000)

As always this is strictly opinion based...and always open to comments and other opinions or thoughts!

Check out tomorrow as we reveal our top 10 Power Fowards!

No comments:

Post a Comment